Tuesday, February 3, 2015

February is a Time for Quilting!

 "Winter is the time for comfort, for good food and warmth, for the touch of a friendly hand and for a talk beside the fire:  it is the time for home." 
-  Edith Sitwell

 



Well, here we are at February already. I wonder where January has gone to? 

I feel like I just floated through January. I had no energy due to a cold and of course still had to carry on with work and life in general and here we are in February!

Just a couple of days ago I decided that I was feeling much better and actually had some energy so out came the sewing machine along with some blocks that hadn't seen the light of day for a very long time. 

I am really enjoying sewing and didn't really realized how much I was missing it. 

I was laying out my quilt blocks and realized that I was needing to complete three more blocks to make it 6 blocks across and 7 down. Next hurdle was to find the pattern. Have you ever done that? Put something away and then have to go hunting for the pattern in order to finish. It seemed to take forever but found it finally and had success in completing the three blocks needed. They go quite fast once you have them cut out and really are slick to make. You just have to make sure that you lay them out right before sewing together or you end up with a different pattern. I know this from experience!!


              
I really enjoyed making this block and could see making a smaller version as a baby quilt. The pattern is called 'Three in a Box' and was designed by Julie Herman at Jaybird Quilts. The size of the blocks are 12" square when they are sewn up.

I not only got the three blocks completed but was able to get four rows sewn. There isn't a lot that needs to be lined up so fairly easy and has a stunning result.



This is such a fun, colourful quilt. The material that I used has a bit of a texture to it and I love how it all is coming together. 

I've been waiting for a package to come from Sew Sisters. I joined their Batik Lover's Club where I will receive 4 half yards of material each month. I have been waiting patiently okay not so patiently for my package to come. I imagine that the package probably got hung up in Toronto because of the weather they have been having and many flights in and out were cancelled last week.

The other day we had a beautiful sunset. Can you see the mountains 'peaking' through? When I bought this place I didn't think that I had a mountain view so was pleasantly surprised that I can see them even if it is a far way off.



Hope you have a spectacular week! Keep warm, sew to your hearts content, and laugh for no reason!

Shauna