Tuesday, June 25, 2013

'Happy'

I have had many mixed emotions over the past several days.

My life has gone on unscathed and yet many in Southern Alberta have lost their homes and in some cases their loved ones due to the flooding that has occurred.

The good news is that in some of the communities, they are able to start rebuilding.  There are many ways to help out our neighbours and one just has to seek them out.
Still a long ways to go, but on an upswing.

I am truly thankful to God that all of my friends and family are safe and dry 
- even a friend in High River.

My place of employment has been closed for the past few days so I have taken the opportunity get a jump start on working on my son's quilt and also getting a quilt that has been sitting in the pile to completion.

As you can see I have Graham's quilt well on it's way.  

All of the HST have been cut and laid out.  It was really hard to find a place to lay them all out but did find a place beside my bed.  Funny thing is that I now have to get out of the 'wrong' side of the bed.  So I told a friend that if I was 'grumpy' it was because I got out of the wrong side of the bed. 

 Once you lay this pattern out though, you don't want to be messing with it as it would be too confusing to figure out what needs to be sewn together.


 I have this quilt in various stages.

Four rows have been sewn together, 
two more ready to join them,
two pinned and ready to sew into rows 
and the rest of course, laid out.



I also resurrected this quilt top that has been sitting around for a while.


It now has a place that I can't reveal at this time but can show you a couple of pictures.

The story with quilt is that I started it during a very unhappy time in my life so I chose bright, cheerful, delightful fabric.  It was fun to put together and I have named it the 'Happy' quilt.

As I pulled this one out and knew where it was going I thought I would have to purchase backing and batting but low and behold, I had all of that.  


I am astounded, as of late, that I seem to always have what I need when I need it.  
I know, I plan ahead but still if you knew what has transpired in my life over the past year I can truly say that God has been there for every turn in the road and has provided for me most abundantly.

I am going to attempt to do continuous bias binding as I think I have enough of the backing left over.

  Any advise out there?  
I have perused many of the youtube videos out there and think I have handle on it.

Right now it is laid out and currently being pinned on my dining room floor.




Any ideas on how to quilt this and what colour thread to use?  
I have limited ability and am on a time budget too.

I have to head back to work tomorrow so hopefully can get this all pinned by the end of today.

Hope you are having a wonderful day where ever you find yourself today!

Shauna